Eye infection outbreak is found in CL wearers

Contact lenses
Outbreak of a rare eye infection is discovered in contact lens wearers

A continuous outbreak of a rare eye infection has been discovered in contact lens wearers, according to a new study.

Researchers at University College London have found the number of acanthamoeba keratitis diagnoses has almost tripled in the south-east of England since 2011.

Dr John Dart, consultant ophthalmologist at Moorfields Eye Hospital, said: ‘Acanthamoeba keratitis is a rare infection, but when it occurs, it has a devastating effect for a long period of time on the patient’s life. Only 70% of patients were cured within 12 months. For the remaining 30%, the treatment took over a year.’

Register now to continue reading

Thank you for visiting Optician Online. Register now to access up to 10 news and opinion articles a month.


Already have an account? Sign in here